Sunday, January 25, 2009

Oh Manila Bay!





Many times in my life I have attended parties where I was not invited and knew little or nothing about my hosts, but this is probably the best uninvited party I have ever attended. Unfortunately I did not bring my camera and so I will have to ask my mates for the pictures (hope to upload them soon).

Basically we were invited by a friend of a friend…and so forth, and all of the sudden we were standing at Manila’s yacht club, waiting for a speed boat to take us to the party Yacht “The King of Sports” in the middle of the bay. Please note that when I say Yacht it means three story’s high and 20 metres long.

If being in a Yacht on party mode watching the sunset was good already; imagine when they tell you that all drinks are free (we did bring some I must say) and that dinner would be served soon, after we set sail.

Oh wait, I did forget to mention that the place was crowded with two kinds of people: a) Bohemian and wealthy expats that have fallen in love with the Philippines and b) really hot Filipino models (plus a Mexican Californian and a strinkingly beautiful French-Filipina).

To sum up, there was constant drinking, wild dancing and lots of improvised singing (these people were into jamming and we had a couple of international DJs attending).

In such an environment it is easy to feel small; but then again, the people here are so nice to strangers, and my embassy business cards help a lot; all of the sudden I was making loads of friends.